Monday 25 May 2015

Oliver: John Peel Show - Radio 1 (Sunday 8 December 1991)

As you'll see when you get to the Field Mice track, everything on this day was subservient to me finding out whether the girl that I'd fancied for two months felt the same way.

The selections were taken from a 90 minute mixtape made by someone who only wanted guitar music.  Fortunately, there was plenty of good stuff to choose from.  I had another 4 selections that I couldn't include and they were:

Precious Sons - Chiari (No record of this has turned up anywhere).
The Alvy Singers - Footsteps (a snip at just £78.20.)
Rufus Thomas - 44 Long
Transmisia - Noise

Talking about records, I haven't given up on my plan to buy and review records that I select.  I have albums by Katch 22 and Wenge-Musica awaiting write ups but must confess to taking my time before I review hip hop albums.  With such a range of themes and meanings, it won't do just to say, "I like this because it's dramatic".  I attempted to bone up a bit more with some suitable reading, but while Lloyd Bradley's Sounds Like London - 100 Years of Black Music in the Capital shone a lot of light on such disparate forms as calypso, funk, reggae, sound system, lovers rock and grime, it didn't help me much with hip hop.  I suppose if you want a job done, you have to do it yourself!

As always, you can make your own selections and choices from the tracklisting.

Half Man Half Biscuit's iconic All I Want For Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit was covered in the seasonal tunes post.   A feature on how Dukla Prague are currently faring can be found in the current issue of When Saturday Comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment