Friday 26 February 2016

Oliver: Dennis Alcapone - Run Run (12 January 1992)



My production of Dracula is over.  It survived a cast member breaking their ankle and the enforced pressure on me to learn the part in 48 hours went someway towards helping me get over anxiety issues that I've been having about appearing onstage over the last 4 years and which caused me to be very, very discerning over which shows I appeared in.
My wife is now rehearsing a play with the same company.  Rehearsals started this week and she came home from the second rehearsal in a bit of a state, lambasting herself for being unable to stop offering suggestions and advice or for not getting the nuances of an accent quite right.  All this after 2 rehearsals and with 7 weeks to go to the first night.
I sympathise with her though because I've already found myself thinking at times about what my 1992 Festive Fifty will look like. A fatuous thought because it may be 3 or 4 years before this blog gets to that time of the year.  So far I only have 2 choices out of those I've put up from 1992 which I think are good enough.  This was brought into focus when I listened to Run Run by Dennis Alcapone, and found myself thinking, "If only this had been recorded in 1991 instead of 1971, it would be a shoo-in for a place in my eventual chart".  Rationality and calm have subsequently descended and I can now enjoy this mix of rocksteady and nursery rhyme on its own terms.  As can you, and guaranteed no talking about a 1992 Festive Fifty until 2019 at the earliest.

Interestingly the inclusion means we have back to back selections with alliterative titles.  Peel surely meant this, didn't he?

Video courtesy of Danny Sinclair.

No comments:

Post a Comment