Tuesday 20 September 2016

Oliver: Dub Syndicate feat. Prince Far I - Glory To God (22 February 1992)



Pioneers lay the road, and diligent students pave them.  That's my reasoning as to why I prefer the warmer, fuller work of Dub Syndicate when compared to, say, King Tubby. Although by the time they released their Stoned Immaculate album, Dub Syndicate were veterans, with plenty to offer anyone studying their work.  To my untutored ear, the improvement is in the way everything is held together rather than running down blind alleys.  The sudden piano stabs and electro drum beats serve to enhance the track, originally recorded by Prince Far I and The Arabs.  It helps to have Prince Far I on any track because of his sage like qualities.  In that voice, one can hear thousands of years of experience and wisdom.  Whatever, he calls "good music", you feel would be worth listening to.

But ultimately, I can only come back to what I alluded to in my opening line.  As someone who has only developed any kind of appreciation or hearing of dubstep through Peel, what I love about this track is the way in which it expands the possibilities that King Tubby and others threw out there, and makes them into something catchy, communal and exciting.

Video courtesy of SweetSmoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment