Monday 28 May 2018

Oliver! appendices - The Pied Piper - Dreamers [Lucid Dream Mix] (29 December 1991)



This comes from that period when Peel was playing tracks called  Pied Piper as well as tracks BY The Pied Piper aka Michael Hazell - although I was ambivalent about some of them.
My notes from the 29/12/91 show read like those old Melody Maker reviews where journalists who cut their teeth on Acker Bilk singles attempted to review Tomorrow Never Knows.  For all that it remains “a piece of lovely breakbeat filler” though, I’m kicking myself that I never recognised Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka providing the “We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.” line.  What a lovely voice though, eh?  He missed his true calling as an ambient dance vocalist, I feel. But then he got to hang around with Richard Pryor, Kelly LeBrock and Joan Severance so who had the last laugh, ultimately?

Video courtesy of Dave.

No comments:

Post a Comment