Monday 7 January 2019

The Comedy of Errors: Utah Saints - Something Good (8 May 1992)



Buy this on Discogs

Now this takes me back.  Not so much the track itself, which came to me unrecognised but immediately embraced once I heard Peel play it on the 8/5/92 file, but the brief ubiquity that Utah Saints enjoyed circa 1992-93.  That six-pointed star logo seemed to be constantly following me around at one point - in record shop windows, on festival-bills in magazines and on friends’ bedroom walls.  But I wasn’t interested at the time, stupidly mourning the death of guitar pop and wishing the spirit of the 60s tapes I was devouring then could come back.  So blame me for Britpop.  By the time I did start to look interestedly in their direction with the release of Believe in Me and the Newman and Baddiel Unplugged skit, they were withdrawing from widespread attention.  The occasional single release over 1994-96 and then nothing until The Millenium, by which point Britpop had absorbed my attention, and once I started listening to John Peel circa 1997, I really can’t recall him going back to them on any of my journeys back from rehearsal.

But no matter, because for that brief spell when they were a legitimate Top 10 chart act, they produced some wonderful slices of techno/electro/dance music.  Something Good throngs with life and infectious energy from the moment that the opening rocket ascent to the sky explodes into a million sparks of light.  Not such a bad metaphor really given that the vocal sample was taken from Kate Bush’s Cloudbusting.

Buy this on Discogs



Videos courtesy of Lance Trophy (Utah Saints) and imaginary92 (Bush)

No comments:

Post a Comment