Saturday 7 March 2020

The Comedy of Errors: Frankie Paul - Pon di Scene (13 June 1992)



Buy this on Discogs

NOTE - The video contains both the vocal and instrumental versions of Pon di Scene. The switch between the versions comes at 3:32.

This track is, I think, the culmination of a run of selections which I’ve included here but could easily have passed on if I had been in a different mood.  And at least two* tracks which made my original lists and which would have been blogged about before this one have fallen from favour over the last few days.  They will be revealed in a few posts time when we cover the general notes for the 13/6/92 Peel Show.
 So, it’s been a bit of a slog for me over the last 10 days or so, because  Pon di Scene like Submersion by Morgan Wild Project** and Circuits Overload by Spasms is not a great piece when considered as a total experience, but like both of them it has one essential element which clinches its place on the metaphorical mix-tape.  In the case of Pon di Scene, it’s the fact that the track is performed by Frankie Paul, my favourite dancehall singer.

Where the track fails to entirely convince is hearing the honey-voiced purveyor of Beautifulla passing himself off as a big shot with his “pocket full of green” and his hot girlfriend, Maxine (though there are suggestions that she’s a bought woman) and proving himself to be the scourge of cheeky Rude boys everywhere.  So much so that “di scene” in question is one which Frankie and Maxine exit after apparently laying waste to the Rudies before the police arrive.  Frankie had come a long way from Tell Them Fe Cool and I don’t entirely buy it, but his wonderful, silky sing-me-the-phone-book vocal does just enough to dispels the doubts.

*Now just one.
** When I was reading earlier this evening, the main keyboard figure from this track sprang into my mind unbidden, so it must be doing something right.

Video courtesy of thinmaninphilly

No comments:

Post a Comment