Wednesday 17 June 2020

The Comedy of Errors: Hum - Roar, I’m a Tiger (28 June 1992)



If you like your Speed Metal sound with a sprinkling of surrealistic poetry, then step right up to the Family Planning Clinic and let Champaign, Illinois’s finest musical sons take you through your options.  
Roar, I’m a Tiger was the B-side to Hum’s calling card single, Hello Kitty.  Both songs deal with sex I feel, though Roar, I’m a Tiger is far more oblique about this than Hello Kitty which is filled with references to “bedroom eyes” and “naked minds”.  By contrast, Roar, I’m a Tiger alludes to sing-ships and other vague non-sequiturs. But, having looked up the lyrics I keep being drawn to the line, “I’d like to feel your fair hand in seventeen weeks” which occurs twice in the song and occasions a brutal response in both cases:
“I’d like to beat myself all over the place” in the first instance.
“I’d like to kill myself all over your shoes/sheets” (Reddit says “shoes”, I hear “sheets” which would fit the sex analogy at least.)
I read the 17 week wait as the countdown to the birth of a baby - perhaps one conceived in the fever of passion represented by the throttle-revving guitar riff that drives the track.  The baby’s conception proves a double edged sword given that it offers proof of the narrator’s virility/fertility (as referenced by the track’s title) while simultaneously scaring him to death (or suicide) due to the onset of sudden parental responsibility.  It’s as if Henry Spencer from Eraserhead was setting his thoughts about impending fatherhood to music, but without the soothing entreaties of The Lady in the Radiator to reassure him.

Video courtesy of h-u-m.net
All lyrics are copyright of their authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment