Tuesday 29 December 2020

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: New Order - Touched By the Hand of God [12-inch mix] (25 October 1992)



Touched by the Hand of God was recorded by New Order in 1987 as both a standalone single and a contribution to the soundtrack of the film Salvation!, a comedy parodying televangelism - and how delicious it has been in 2020 to see those odiously, slick frauds melting down in the aftermath of Donald Trump’s defeat.  It would be even better were it not for the large numbers of people that they have brainwashed or bullied into thinking that the vote is invalid because Trump lost.

But in October 1992, poking fun at the Christian Right was the last thing on John Peel’s mind when he played this.  As he explained, the reasoning behind its airing on this edition of John Peel’s Music was altogether more celebratory:

The John Peel Roadshow was out and about in a manner of speaking last night....It was something like the third or the fourth or the fifth anniversary of The Waterfront in Norwich, it might even have been the second, I can’t remember at all.  But I went along there to play one or two records, and it was quite moving actually because when I got up on stage, I couldn’t speak because there was so much cheering and shouting.  I think they thought I was Andy Peebles to be quite honest with you.  I soon got rid of them, I mean I cleared the dance floor in no time at all and ended up playing records to a deserted room, by and large. And this is one of the records that I played because, I’ll let you into a little dee-jaying secret here, what you tend to do is put on long records so that you can just stand there, look bored and wait for it all to end.  And this is one of the records that I put on in those circumstances and it sounded pretty darned good at huge volume, so turn your radios up.

Video courtesy ofRetroRemixes2

No comments:

Post a Comment