Sunday 17 October 2021

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: John Peel’s Music - Sunday 22 November 1992 (BFBS)

 The audio files which contain the BFBS shows for October-December 1992 appear no longer to be accessible. In a YouTube world, that makes no odds in terms of presenting the selections I chose from those Peel shows, but unfortunately it means that the notes posts which cover Peel shows for the periods will be a little scant for a while.  For instance, on this show, Peel told an anecdote about being taken to watch horse racing as a child by his parents at Bangor-On-Dee. He was surreptitiously encouraged by his father to place some bets and had a moderately successful time of it, winning as he remembered, about £40, which in those days would have bought you a small country estate with full shooting rights.  Unfortunately, he never got to see or spend the money he won due to his father looking after it.  Now, I’m able to present a little context to that anecdote, but as things currently stand with those audio files, I can tell you nothing about how a play of Superstar by French band, Lucievacarme linked to Peel’s own experience from earlier in the week of spending 90 minutes in a hot TV studio to record a 30 second link for a French television programme.

Had the Luicevacarme track been available, it was a definite candidate for inclusion from this show, which it has to be said contained a fairly high number of tracks which made my list. Inevitably, a few fell from favour, such as...

Therapy? - Accelerator - This nearly got in on retrospective grounds given that in early 1993, I became quite a fan of Therapy? but listening to this track, and a few others from the period which didn’t ultimately make the cut, I wonder what I saw in them.  It gives me no pleasure to write that.

Pond - 11x17 - Taken from a CD released on Sub Pop which Peel admitted he hadn’t liked during his initial listens to it, but which he was learning to love on subsequent listens.  It obviously grabbed me first time around, but lost its impact when I went back to it.

Nirvana - Here She Comes Now - a cover of The Velvet Underground track.  When I revisited it, I learnt that when it comes to Here She Comes Now, all I can say is that as far as my preferences are concerned, There She Goes Again.

Full tracklisting


No comments:

Post a Comment