This was another borderline inclusion. It was the final track on the Eat Static album, Abduction. I was torn between liking its gentle, soothing, though brisk, tone and finding it too skittish to really enjoy. There are some moments where this trance track introduces surprising elements such as the uilleann pipes between 1:26-1:55, but it never seemed to commit to anything long enough to fully draw the listener in.
Ultimately though, I included it because I liked the samba elements in it and once they started to coalesce around the synths and reverb beats - that four note synth riff that occurs throughout the track becomes especially beguiling after a while - I started to get into a headspace where I could appreciate it both as music to listen and dance to.
At times, Inner Peace reminded me of the much superior Music by The Safehouse. This morning, when the YouTube algorithm cued Music up after I gave a final listen to Inner Peace to decide whether to include it on the metaphorical mixtape, that sealed the deal for me. It seemed like confirmation that both tracks came from the same family, and even if Inner Peace was the runt of that family, there was no reason to not show it some love.
Video courtesy of Planet Dog Records.
No comments:
Post a Comment