Thursday 8 August 2019

The Comedy of Errors: Junior Reid - All Fruits Ripe (23 May 1992)



Buy this at Discogs

When I write up the general notes for this edition of the John Peel Show, it will show that three selections fell from favour between hearing the show and blogging about them.  Junior Reid’s All Fruits Ripe very nearly made it four, but it was ultimately saved by its hip swinging rhythm, which encourages one to dance in order to try and overlook Reid’s flatness on the title line throughout the whole three and a half minutes.  Lyrically it leaves me behind after the first minute. I think the theme of the song is about the depletion of Caribbean youth leaving the islands upon reaching maturity (“all fruits ripe” etc) and the subsequent, damaging knock-on effect to Jamaican life (“a great mistake for you and me.”)  After that, I’m guessing I’m afraid.  However the image of shaking the grape tree presents the tantalising possibility of the man who made his name with Black Uhuru taking inspiration from Agadoo by Black Lace.  Maybe Reid had been at a party the night before?

Video courtesy of kyte2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment