Sunday 16 August 2020

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: The Orchids - Thaumaturgy (4 October 1992)



Buy this on Discogs

“Thaumaturgy - the performance of miracles, specifically, magic.”

They’re called The Orchids, they hailed from Glasgow - of course they were going to be signed to Sarah Records.  As with most twee pop, the mood here veers towards the reflective and the nostalgic, but with a strong twinge of rueful rage bubbling beneath the seemingly benign surface.  In the case of Thaumaturgy - which Peel admitted he was nervous to include in the programme because he was unsure how to pronounce the title - everything comes back to one Saturday night in which it appears that the veil was torn from the eyes of James Hackett to reveal the true character of the friend or lover  that acts as the subject of the song.

Thaumaturgy is something of a borderline inclusion and doesn’t hit the heights of similar examples by the likes of Po! or Confetti.  But what I like about it is the way in which it captures the sense of how memories and incidents can retain a hold over us, no matter how “cold and tired” they may be.  In my new college environment, I would find myself, through late 1992 and early 1993, often being beguiled by the apparent thaumaturgy of some of my new colleagues only to eventually see how the illusions worked.  When I reflect back on that, even after 25+ years, I feel a mix of gratitude for the thrill of the illusions and regret at my youthful naivety. One day, I will be less harsh on myself over this.
One final curiosity from the track is the last 40 seconds featuring what appears to be a twee-pop attempt at incorporating a break-beat.

Video courtesy of tendingthepalebloom

No comments:

Post a Comment