Sunday 6 September 2020

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Original Rockers - Push Push [Fabi Paras mix] (11 October 1992)



Buy this at Discogs

Electro-samba from Birmingham?  Yes please!
Taking their name from the legendary Augustus Pablo album, DJ duo Glyn “Bigga” Bush and Richard “DJ Dick” Whittingham grabbed attention around dancefloors in 1991 with Push Push, a dub’n’beatz gem which fused early 90s dance with Lee Perry-style atmospherics and a catchy chorus.  My wife just heard me playing the original version, which you can hear below, and remarked “Great sex song”.
But good luck with getting your rocks off to this mix by Fabi Paras which strips out all the sensuality of the original version and replaces it with the perfect soundtrack to a Mardi Gras in Handsworth with samba drums battling against urgently insistent keyboard figures.
My notes for this track say that, “It may get a bit repetitive,” and even Peel himself faded the record out ahead of its ending with, “I think they’ve shown us all they’re going to show us”, but having noted the repetition my notes continued with, “...but for now, I fucking love it!”
I still do.

How many babies were made to this, I wonder?



Videos courtesy of Analogue Catalogue and Bunker Headz.

No comments:

Post a Comment