Thursday 28 January 2021

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Abdul Tee-Jay’s Rokoto - Ansu (1 November 1992)



John Peel was far too intelligent and awestruck by the artistry of this soukous tune to point out the obvious anagram which can be made from its title, I don’t think I would have had the same level of self control.

I have to say that I’ve found Anus er...I mean Ansu to be a real grower over the last week or so.  If you’re not inspired to buy any of Abdul Tee-Jay’s records, whether they be solo or part of his own Rokoto collective, I can guarantee you that the YouTube rabbit hole you end up falling down will be one of the more enjoyable ones you find yourself in.  I particularly enjoyed Da Nafiki even if it does sound like he’s singing the word “wanking” towards the end of it.

Further points of interest come in where Tee-Jay, who was born and brought up in Sierra Leone, recorded the Fire Dombolo album from which Ansu was taken.  Like many North and Central African musicians, Tee-Jay came to Europe to live and record.  But he eschewed Paris or Brussels in favour of London.  Yes, the soukous vibe here was cooked up at Sultan Studios in Kilburn.

With thanks to Dave Yowell of Sultan Sound.
Video courtesy of soukous 70.





No comments:

Post a Comment