Friday 30 December 2022

Equus: Cell - Dig Deep (17 January 1993)



If in 1993, I had been mourning the dissolution of London art-metal band, Milk, I would have found consolation in the sound of New York’s Cell who having caught my attention on the last Peel show with Everything Turns provide us here with a Milk-alike in the opening riffs on Dig Deep. As with Milk’s epic Claws, the song takes sexual tension as its theme though lyrically it is closer to the kinky, deviancy of Awestruck by Sugartime.  Unfortunately,  unlike the other tracks, it doesn’t develop its ideas into anything of any great substance, but the track is redeemed by the quality of its influences, not least in its playout from 2:12 onwards which put me in mind of the spine-tingling instrumental break on The Move’s cover of The Last Thing on my Mind.

Video courtesy of groscocochat.

No comments:

Post a Comment