Thursday 24 August 2023

Equus: Skullflower - Black Rabbit (30 January 1993)



The first time I saw this CD, my rheumy old eyes told me it was called Third Goalkeeper. In fact, it’s not called that at all, it’s called Third Gatekeeper.  (John Peel on the album which Black Rabbit came from.)

What Peel didn’t mention is that Skullflower spelt “Third” as “IIIrd”, an act of pretension which should have seen the album cast into the bin. Having listened to the album in full, while prepping this post, I have to say that had Peel played any track other than Black Rabbit - other than perhaps, Saturnalia - from it, then I would have passed. Unlike many of the tracks on the album, which dicker around inconclusively, but at great volume, Black Rabbit does have some momentum about it, which makes it a slightly compelling listen.  It’s characterised as noise rock, though I found myself recalling it sounding a little like what I remembered as “satanic” or Occult Rock.   During its best moments, Black Rabbit has that feel of demonism and sulphur in the air, whereas most of the rest of IIIrd Gatekeeper swaps sulphur for ear-splitting farts instead.  It was also a reminder that while he may not have been curing cancer or splitting the atom, Peel was worth the money he was paid, having to listen to albums like IIIrd Gatekeeper. I’ve ended up having to do it for love.

Video courtesy of Antro Nero.

No comments:

Post a Comment