Monday 18 March 2024

Equus: The Moog - Jungle Muffin [Micky Finn Remix] (21 February 1993)



I’m really pleased that Peel played this track from The Moog Remix EP, because when I was prepping the blogpost on the Mercy remix of Live Forever from the same EP, I got the chance to listen to all four tracks that were on it, and the Micky Finn* remix of Jungle Muffin was by far and away my favourite track.  I was seduced by the jungle vibe to the mix and it’s caused me to look ahead with hope that as the early and mid 90s Peel shows get covered here, I’ll get to enjoy more jungle music and appreciate it more than I did 30 odd years ago.  If I had my record buying youth again, I’d have stocked up on more jungle and trip hop records alongside the Britpop I was gorging myself on at the time.  I’ve lamented my youthful tunnel vision on this previously, and happily my notes for this edition of John Peel’s Music promise some further potential jungle treats subject to availability and me not going off the track…**

Compared to the original mix, Finn’s mix works in a couple of dub interludes, ostensibly to give the track space to breathe. The Italo-piano break is still in both versions so as to firmly remind us that this was still 1992/93 and some of-their-time conventions still had to be acknowledged, but the persistent noise of the Star Wars blasters sounds like one of dance music’s new developments killing off a previously dominant form and announcing itself in thrilling style.

Video courtesy of NEINSHIT

*Not that one. Or this one.
** I think it’s available, but if it’s what I just heard, it may miss out.***
*** It’s not currently available.

No comments:

Post a Comment