Wednesday 5 June 2024

Equus: John Peel Show - Saturday 20 March 1993 (BBC Radio 1)

 The selections I made from this programme came from an 85 minute long file in the middle of the show. I don’t think I caught John Peel or his playlist at their best given that my notes complain that far too much time was given over to a dreary cover of  Black Sabbath’s Changes by Fudge Tunnel. Do yourself a favour and skip forward to 2003 if you want to hear the song covered well by the best interpreters of Sabbath’s material there are. (Exhibit A) (Exhibit B).

I also wasn’t persuaded by Nathalie Chou by Lutchiana Mobulu featuring one of Diblo Dibala’s more anaemic performances, which Peel played as a taster for a gig Mobulu was playing at Subterania, taking place the day after this show which would feature Peels and Kershaws stretching as far as the eye can see. It was a busy couple of weekends for Andy Kershaw who was going to spend the following weekend DJing at a benefit gig for Haiti supporting Abdul Tee-Jay’s Rokoto.

There was one track I had down for inclusion which I couldn’t find:

Basehead - Greener Pastures: Hip hop from Washington D.C. and a track taken from what I guessed may have been a concept album called Not in Kansas Anymore. I think I based that theory on the title of the track being an allusion to the themes of escape - and subsequent longing for a return home - in The Wizard of Oz. The album title is a direct quote from the film. But a look at the track listing seems to scotch the theory, though given the rumours about abusive and lewd on-set behaviour during the making of the film perhaps titles like Hoes on Tour or Do You Wanna Fuck (or What?) may not be wide of the mark.

One track fell from favour after making my list:

Pond - Wheel: Great start but didn’t sustain interest. Listening back to it again as I type this, I may have made a mistake in rejecting it. Never mind, I have other Pond tracks on my future lists.

Full tracklisting

No comments:

Post a Comment