Sunday, 2 August 2026

Guys and Dolls: Further - Real Gone (22 May 1993)

 


Buy this at Discogs

Peel played Real Gone as part of a double bill of tracks from Further’s first album, Grip Tape L.P.  It’s fairly standard “I-don’t-know-myself-and-I-think-I’m-going-crazy” hard rock/shoegaze stuff, albeit leavened with some great guitar work and a little boy lost vocal that you’d have to have a heart of stone not to be affected by.  The chopped, crunchy riffs of its opening 80 seconds provide a perfect backdrop to the confessions about dark thoughts and feelings of being publicly misunderstood. Between 1:23 and 1:56, the music becomes clearer, less dense as the narrator strives for some kind of control over their darker impulses. They even end on a note of defiance, I am taking control. But the Dinosaur Jr. style guitar solo and that returning choppy riff guide us back into a sea of uncertainty and churned up emotions; the frustration of seeming to identify a way in which to live your life, only to find it’s illusory.

As previously mentioned, Dinosaur Jr. are clearly a huge influence on this track. Even the vocals sound like someone doing an impression of J Mascis stuck in a subterranean toilet. 

I had originally included the second track, Gimme Indie Fox, for inclusion as well, though there was a question mark against it. It’s a rib on Gimme Indie Rock! by Sebadoh, but the vocals are so messily recorded that it’s not easy to tell what points they’re making. If they can’t be bothered about us hearing it, I can’t be bothered to keep it. A shame really, because the video is good fun.

Video courtesy of coldnebraskablue.

No comments:

Post a Comment