Saturday 27 June 2015

Oliver: John Peel Show - Radio 1 (Sunday 15 December 1991)

It's pretty slim pickings from this, the final "regular" show of 1991.  The recording I used only captured the first 45 minutes of the show.  I could have selected more stuff if I didn't use such a pernickety criteria with the recordings.  Because of the mixtape idea, I don't listen to files from Peel shows which are under 40 minutes long, I want to use something which will be at least one side of a C-90 tape as the basis for my selections.  I know if I was being slavishly faithful to this rule, I wouldn't include anything from files where uploaders have got the whole 3 hours uploaded on one file but I don't want to get too self-denying.

The one benefit of working with a short file is there's less danger of missing out on selections.  In this case the only pick I can't bring you is another African record, namely:

Knowledge Cunin Yate - Gejo

There's also the curious case of a Sonic Youth track which I initially rejected only to decide to put it in, change my mind again and then see it's scheduled for inclusion in the first set of selections from 1992.  I'll hold it over till then, though you'll probably guess what it is when you jump to the tracklisting.

I was disappointed not to be able to include Into the Tunnel by The House of Love, the only track from their Peel session which featured on the recording that I heard.  Unfortunately, as much as I love them, it was just too dull to include.

I've started to put together selections from January 1992, as I write this I'm listening to a recording from 18 January 1992.  But before the new sounds of 1992, the next four shows saw Peel showcase his favourite tunes/sessions from 1991 and there's plenty for us to get through from that lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment